In collaboration with Viatour Travel www.viatour.com.au, the two departures of 23 days have been planned to discover the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies.
Although its name dates back to 1816-1861 the Kingdom was founded in the twelfth century. It combined the largest two states of Italy, before the Unification of Italy, which encompassed the union of the Kingdom of Sicily and the Kingdom of Naples.
This tour will give you the chance to discover the southern part of mainland Italy and the Island of Sicily.
Our tour highlights include visits to more than 10 Unesco World Heritage Sites. These areas contain some of the most spectacular archaeological and architectural treasures in Italy: the once buried city of Pompeii, the ancient city of Matera (European Capital of Culture for 2019), Lecce, commonly nicknamed "the Florence of the South", the stunning Greek theatre at Taormina, the Greek city of Agrigento, Palermo and many charming medieval hilltop towns.
We continue to renowned religious sites such as the Vatican Museums with its famous frescoes by Michelangelo and other great masters, St Peter’s Basilica where we admire the exquisite statue “La Pieta” and not to be missed is another Michelangelo masterpiece, the giant statue of Moses in the Church of St Peters in Chains. Your holiday will provide the ultimate cultural experience, as with likeminded companions, you explore the best of the Mediterranean’s most alluring sites, all to be enhanced by the delicious and diverse gourmet flavours awaiting you.
Metaponto - Bernalda - Polignano We complete our panoramic drive around Metaponto, time permitting also Bernalda. These areas have left a rich cultural legacy as we will note from the extensive archaeological parks and extraordinary Temple. Evening arrival at Polignano al Mare. (B, D)
Furthermore, this tour includes three days in Rome, to revisit your favourite sites or discover the unique monumental sites such as the Roman Forum, the Colosseum, the Pantheon, the views from Palatine Hill. Roam through Campo dei Fiori, the most famous Piazzas, such as Navona, Spagna and of course the amazing Trevi, the beautiful end result of an engineering feat, namely the Aqua Virgo an ancient aqueduct still functioning today.
Matera: “European Capital of Culture for 2019” Visit the cone shaped Trulli at Alberobello on our way to Matera. Known as "la Citta Sotterranea" (the Subterranean City). Since the 10" millennium bC, Matera is one of the oldest continuously inhabited cities in the world. With our guide we explore the historic centre in depth and visit some of the Cave dwellings. This area has been the backdrop of famous films such as “The Gospel according to St Matthew’ (Pasolini 1964), “King David” (Bruce Beresford 1985), “The Passion of the Christ” (Gibson 2004) and the “Nativity story” (Hardwicke 2006). (B, D)
Costs: $7580.00 per person sharing a double or twin bedded room (single room occupancy on request) Booking Conditions:
• A deposit of $1500 will hold your booking. The balance: 10 weeks prior.
• Costs are based on present rates and are subject to change according to possible increases, particularly pertinent to Airlines and airport taxes
• City taxes in Italy are to be paid directly to hotels
• Participants names must be submitted exactly as per passport together with passport numbers, date and place of birth. • Cancellations and changes: once the booking has been accepted a penalty may apply in case of cancellation. Also relevant to change of dates of travel or names, after ticketing will attract a re-issue fee
• Cancellations: a scale of penalties will apply in accordance to the date of cancellation. From 28days prior to the start of tour no refund will apply.
• Luggage: Airlines will allow the standard suitcase plus 1 carry-on baggage
• Any baggage exceeding 3m in length will be considered and charged as cargo, it will not be accepted as checked in luggage.
• Insurance: we strongly recommend a comprehensive travel insurance policy to cover against; medical, loss of luggage, cancellation fees, etc.
• Responsibility: Viatour inform that they act as agents for whom ever provides the means of travel, accommodation etc. all receipts, tickets and vouchers are issued subject to the terms & conditions under which the services are provided. Viatour will not be liable for any injury, damage, loss, accident, delay or irregularity that may be caused to person or property, during any tour under its management. Viatour Travel Pty Ltd - abn 60001105193